January 4, 2012

Neighborhood Shrines/Temples, Part II

(To read Part I, go here.)

I made my first shrine visit of the New Year today, although I don't think I did it in the appropriate Japanese style.  This shrine is on the main road between our house and the mall so we go past it all the time.  One time, at night, we even saw people singing and dancing by lantern light, but we don't know what was going on.  It is a Shinto Inari shrine which means it is a shrine to Inari, the god (kami, in Japanese) of agriculture, rice, worldly success and industry among other things.  Inari shrines are extremely popular---there are tens of thousands of them.  I can tell it is an Inari shrine because....there is a fox statue in front of it.  Foxes are believed to be Inari's messengers.

the little red collar and oranges are not usually there--
he has been spruced up for the New Year
Google Maps lists this shrine as 原賀茂神社, or as best I can make out "stone plain celebrate grow thick shrine".  Since it's right on the main road I had to squeeze the car (no bike this time, it's freezing out) off the side of the road and run and take photos really quick.





As for the first shrine I investigated, I noticed a couple of guys cleaning up around it on New Year's Eve and from what I can tell (it is off the main road so I can't get a good view driving by) it looks like it got spruced up too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...