April 20, 2013

Temple-Gazing

Are you tired of temples and shrines yet?  If so, prepare yourself, because I haven't even scratched the surface.  I know at least one other expat who wearily says, "If you've seen one shrine, you've seen them all.".  But I'm still determined to document all that I can because frankly there isn't a whole lot else to do around here.

On the same day I visited Orihime Shrine, I went to a small temple, also in Ashikaga.  After much, much more time on Google Maps/Images I am pretty sure that this is Fukugon-ji Temple.

If it is, then this is all the information I located:

"Founded by the fourth Tadatsuna Tosei family of the Ashikaga clan to pray for the repose of his parents in 1182.“Hoteison”, the deity of amicableness, is also enshrined." (JapanGuides.net)

It was a little "busier" than most temples I've seen and by that I mean more statues, odder statues, many graves around and what appeared to be a huge maintenance shed with buckets and brooms.



the temple

there was an unusual amount of statuary at this one





1- the statues at the bottom of a huge hill of graves (behind the temple)
2- landscaping
3- a gnome?  a memorial to a child?  it has a stone chicken with it?  and eggs? 
4- wisteria out front

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...