November 18, 2013

Poppin' Tags

So here's a post about what a thrift shop is like in Japan.  Before you get all excited let me tell ya that it's pretty much like one in America. The only one I know about in these parts is a chain called Off House.

Off House is part of a conglomerate that includes Hard Off which sells used electronics/hardware (and yeah, sorry, the name totally cracks me up), Book Off which sells used books, and the aforementioned Off House that sells housewares, clothes, toys etc.  There are a few other variations that I've never seen in person, but you can see them listed on the official website.

a local Off House

I recently went with an American friend and attempted to actually sell some things there.  I wasn't too successful in that I only made ¥400 (about $4) profit.  But the fact that we were able to manage the transaction was a success, albeit a touch-and-go one because of language difficulties.  We had to show ID and fill out a short contact form and sign that we weren't going to show up and want the stuff back.  The ladies working there pulled some poor dude out of the back and made him talk to me.   When this happens you can assume that the poor schmuck at some point let on to his co-workers that his English was better than average.  Or they grabbed him just because he was younger and had been in English classes more recently than they had.  I always feel really sorry for someone when this happens.  Anyway, they didn't want most of my clothing because it was off-season but I did sell a baby toy.  Granted, I ended up buying a baby toy while I was there but that's beside the point.

Other than the toy, I once got a maternity dress there and I've bought some cute Japanese-style appetizer dishes.  That's the kinds of things Off House is good for.

and guitars

clothing

the rather large collection of action figures is pretty "Japanese" I'd say

electronics





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...