October 20, 2011

Goodbye Garden

I had a tiny kitchen garden here this summer that did pretty well.  I kept us in tomatos, oregano and basil.  Also a little parsley, but apparently Japanese caterpillars like parsley so what little bit I managed to keep was always appetizingly surrounded by squashed caterpillars.  It was pretty easy to find seedlings here at the various big-box stores, although there wasn't quite the variety to which I'm accustomed.  There are lots of seeds available but I'm too lazy (or not bored enough yet) to start them indoors.  I didn't see too many of my neighbors growing tomatos....eggplant is really popular though.

I'll be taking it down in next week though, it's gettin' cold and looking pretty sad. 

back in it's heyday

where it ended up
(brushetta + salad = dinner )

More on the local rice crop: Our teacher told me that it is customary for restaurants to put out signs that say "We have new rice!".  Apparently freshly harvested rice is the most delicious.  However, because of lingering radiation concerns, the going joke in these parts is that the signs are now going to say "We have old rice!".  Ha!

Check back next week, we have an adventure planned for this weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...