May 6, 2012

Our 1st Japanniversary

Exactly one year ago today I was more exhausted than I'd ever been in my life.  I'd been living out of two suitcases for weeks.  I was freaking out a little and wondering if I could handle five years in this strange new place.  I was about to spend several jetlagged nights watching subtitled American movies at 3am.  I thought my house smelled funny (when it has been shut up awhile it has an odor which always reminds me of those first nights here).  I'd never seen such liberal use of concrete.  I hoped I could easily and quickly find a toaster, bathroom rugs and a toothbrush holder (I did).   Throwing out the garbage correctly was a major accomplishment.  So was doing laundry.  I had no idea that a rice paddy full of frogs could be so LOUD.  I had no idea how much I was going to miss central-heating-and-air-conditioning.  And I had no idea how cold it could get in the winter.  I didn't know how much I would grow to miss real American hotdogs.  Or decent sour cream.   I didn't think there was any way I'd ever be able to pass the Japanese driver's exam. Heck, I doubted I'd ever be able to find my way back to my own house. I also didn't think I'd ever be able to get myself into Tokyo on the train alone (I can).  Much less be able to navigate the Tokyo subway system (I can....more or less).  I didn't know how really nice, quiet and thoughtful most Japanese people are.  I probably could not have managed a full, coherent conversation in Japanese.  I thought I'd shrivel up and die from lack of Internet. I was about to go to Starbucks and McDonald's a lot.  I had a pretty good idea how nice it would be not to have a traditional 9-5 job.  I had no idea how to say "Yes, I'm expecting a baby." in Japanese.

I had no idea what an everyday adventure I was going to have!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...