August 10, 2012

Birthin' Babies 101

Shortly after we moved we scheduled a private childbirth class (private only because I waited too long and there weren't any group classes available in August).  My doctor recommended the lady who taught it as she is an American who has worked as a labor and delivery nurse in Japan for thirty years.  She was also familiar with my doctor and my hospital (although she had never worked there) so she could answer pretty specific questions. I mainly wanted to hear how things go down in a Japanese hospital versus an American one. I've read a ton, but 90% of it is from an American-in-America perspective.

I wanted to include some of the highlights here as I have obsessively read every foreigner-giving-birth-in-Japan story on the Internet. There aren't too many so I want to contribute to some of the existing reference websites. If you aren't interested in reading about childbirth....well, sorry, but you're gonna want to skip some posts in the next coupla months.

Some of the highlights:

1. She convinced me to write down a few of my preferences and quirks (such as the fact that needles can make me pass out) in a "birth plan".  Prior to that my only "plan" was to get this baby out healthy as quickly and easily as possible.   Period. I refuse to be the lady who shows up with ten pages of detailed instructions including a song playlist.  It's just not my style.  That said, she convinced me pretty easily when she explained that while some of the L&D nurses will speak good English, they will all be able to read it well.   Which makes sense, as I can read Japanese (kana only) much easier than I can speak it.   She even gave me a form to fill out, one page, and suggested just bullet points. It's a reasonable compromise, I think.

2. She said that Japanese nurses are more likely to wait for you to ask them for help, rather than assuming you want them in your face the whole time.  And by "help" I mean if you just want them to sit and hold your hand and listen to you moan and wail.   She said they're perfectly happy to do it but they'll wait for you to ask.   I like this, as I tend to not like people in my face--even in times of distress--but we'll see.

3. She warned me that the third day after the birth would be rough for a variety of different reasons, one being that the pediatrician will show up and start obsessing over the baby's weight. I may have to negotiate with him/her to keep from giving baby sugar water or formula, which I would prefer not to do. She said the nurses shouldn't bother me, just the pediatrician. The nurses will help me, but again, I'll need to ask. I hear this kind of thing happens in US hospitals too sometimes.

4. That said, she also gave me some good information on Japanese formula and English instructions on how to make it. Which is awesome, because I had no clue and was just going to beg a lesson at the hospital. You know, just in case.

5. One thing I could find almost no information on is what supplies a Japanese hospital provides (for both the baby and for my recovery afterwards).   I was pleased to learn that it's pretty much in line with what a US hospital provides.   And everything on her what-to-bring list was the same as what you would be told to bring to a US hospital.   (The hospital had provided me with a very short list of what to bring but it was nice to have her verify and add to it.)

6. Apparently in Japanese hospitals you can eat and drink straight through labor. They just ask that you avoid fiber.

7. They'll dunk baby in the water for a bath before the umbilical cord falls off. It's the Japanese way and she swore it would make it heal faster.

8. She confirmed yet again that pain medication is rare here (Japanese women pride themselves on stoicism during labor pains) so for the love of heaven, if you're thinking about giving birth in Japan and want drugs make sure your OB and clinic/hospital have them and will give them to you.   This should be your first question, and then check back frequently to make sure the answer hasn't changed. For the record, my "birth plan" is going to say "I'll take whatever you've got."

Past that we did all the breathing exercises and "labor positions" that you see in the movies and called it a day.   This all took several hours, just so you know. If anyone out there wants the contact info for the instructor, email me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...