August 31, 2012

Vending Machine Crawl

As most of you know, I did (finally) have the baby on September 7th.  It's going to take me a little while to find time to blog about the experience (and it was an experience) so the next couple of posts are non-baby related ones that I had prepared ahead of time.  I hope to be back for real soon! 



Lately I've found myself really craving canned and bottled drinks, often ones that are carbonated.  This is pretty unusual for me because normally I drink water, fruit juice and milk.  Anyway, one evening I really wanted something carbonated but couldn't bring myself to walk to the nearest supermarket, which while convenient, has a poor selection of drinks.

And then it dawned on me (it took way too long for this realization to hit) that I'm smack in the middle of Tokyo which means there are forty-five vending machines within half a block of where I'm standing at any given moment.  Alright, maybe not forty-five, but a lot.

You may have heard about the popularity of vending machines here and how you can find some weird stuff in them.  I haven't really seen anything strange (although we both keep our eye out), just a lot of drinks, cigarettes and the occasional ice cream.  The only unusual part is how darn many there are.  All of the ones below are within half a block of our apartment.  And it's not a big block.  I hit all of these at 39 1/2 weeks pregnant with no problems---and there wasn't much I was doing at that point with no problem.  Half a block farther and I would've had this many more to choose from.


this one has Orangina, a popular French
carbonated orange drink recently imported
into Japan.  kinda like an orange Nehi, I think?

this one has "iced cocoa" which is
basically chocolate milk in a can
one of these has Sprite
don't get anything here, but it does
have Welch's grape juice

this one is the closest but doesn't have
anything I want.  lots of coffee drinks
All of the ones below are the farthest, but I go because I can get my beloved milk tea.  This is also where the beer (yes, beer) and cig machines are, which I now realize is why there is often a large group of businessmen hanging around on this corner.

note the narrow beer machine second from the left

smokes

and this fantastic picture is of my last machine
which has an interesting variety of milk tea
called "french" milk tea.  ooh la la.

my spoils (the green cans are Sprite)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...