June 13, 2012

Kimono Chic

So I've been meaning to do a post about kimono-wearing for a long time but never quite got around to it. I decided now was the time, mostly because as summer begins kimonos are starting to pop up on the streets and in the stores again.

First off, yes, Japanese people still wear them in the summer to go about their daily business. Mostly older people, younger people tend to wear them only for special occasions, like festivals. Second, the fairly casual ones people wear around these days are not technically "kimonos" but are instead called "yukata". A Japanese person will almost always kindly and politely correct you if you call a yukata a kimono. The word "kimono" seems to be reserved for the really formal, old-fashioned ones.

I have seen yukata in the mall, the supermarket, on the subway, on the streets, at festivals, you name it. The last time I went to Tokyo alone I rode the subway with a stylin' old guy wearing a yukata and a fedora. It was very Japanese Mad Men. Unfortunately I couldn't get a photo without treating him like a zoo animal. Sometimes though, I can grab a sneaky shot, like the one below which was at a hotel in Odaiba. The international ikebana (flower-arranging) festival was being held and a lot of the Japanese ladies had busted out their best yukata.


the photo doesn't do it justice, it was beautiful.
note the muted colors--typical for older ladies.

The one above was obviously very high-quality. I can only imagine how much it cost. I do know that you can get cheap ones over at Aeon (which, again, is basically Wal-mart) which will run you about $100. And that is just for the yukata and the obi (waist sash). You also need the geta (wooden flip-flops) and usually there is a tiny matching purse and hair accessories plus I think you may have to get some sort of slip to go under it separately. Altogether a super "cheap" ensemble will run you about $200.

a cheap one for sale at Aeon--it looks pretty, but the
fabric is super rough, scratchy cotton
at a fireworks festival--these are the cheaper variety
and they are bright and patterned because the girls are young
As for the formal kimonos, it's my understanding that you can rent one for your wedding or another very formal occasion. You can see a photo of a wedding kimono here--I know a Japanese girl who rented one for her traditional wedding a couple of years ago. I saw her pictures and it looks like the one at the link, hat and all. Of course, she also had photos taken in a Western-style gown too, which I think is pretty common.

I'm also looking forward to trying to spot some real geisha in their real kimonos when we go to Kyoto next month. We're taking a short trip and staying in Gion, which was the old geisha district and there are still plenty of them wandering around in traditional dress.

a local kimono shop, just for renting I think
I may or may not purchase one for myself before we leave but that's not to say I haven't bought any at all....wrap-style "kimono" outfits are really popular for babies, especially newborns. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...