June 26, 2012

Ode To The 100¥ Store

Back in the US I never went to dollar stores too often.  I just rarely felt like I needed the kinds of things that American dollar stores sold.  Here though, it's a different story, although it did take me a little while to warm up to the 100¥ stores (as dollar stores are known here).  I think maybe it's because stuff here is a little more expensive so I've become more apt to look for bargains.

I know for sure that a lot of it is because there happens to be a great chain called Daiso [die-so] with lots of local locations.  I did a little research and found that there are Daisos all over Asia and Europe but so far only on the west coast in North America.  I've found it's a great place to get all sorts of useful things without paying a lot of money.


the Daiso in Aeon mall

they have a great selection of office supplies

polyester bags that make excellent reusable grocery bags

nail polish/supplies--all cosmetics here are frightfully expensive
so this is a nice option.  although I'm a little hesitant to use them
at the moment because who knows what kind of chemicals they
have to put in it to make it so cheap?

I try to remember to always come here for plant pots, stakes, etc.

tiny bowls, good for condiments and parties

They also have a limited selection of craft supplies and gift wrap, both of which have come in handy.  And they have a remarkably nice selection of socks, including the little Japanese socklets that are so popular here.   It's also a good place to try out weird Japanese candy--if it's nasty you can throw it out and you haven't lost much.

Another good thing about the Daiso is that a lot of the goods are actually made in Japan.  Usually when you see cheap stuff here it's made in China--sound familiar?  Although, for the record, some of the stuff in Daiso is made in China but not all of it.  I think the selection of Japan-made goods are what make it an unusually nice dollar store chain.  And most items are actually 100¥ ($1.26 at the current exchange rate) but they do have some items up to 500¥.  So I always walk out with a basketful and rarely spend more than $10.  Can't beat that, right? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...