July 6, 2012

Baby Customs

This past week some of my fellow expat wives threw me a small baby shower.  America, China and Japan were represented and during the shower I learned some interesting Japanese customs involving baby mementos. 

First, I received as a gift a small wooden box called a kotobuki bako.  This box is meant to store the umbilical cord after it falls off.  Apparently Japanese mothers almost always keep the umbilical cord as a memento.  I know some American mothers do this as well, but as far as I know there isn't a special box you can buy for it.  You can read a little more about this tradition here.  As for whether I will actually use the box for its intended purpose.....the jury is still out.   The jury is leaning heavily towards "no".  I did ask what the kanji on the box said (thinking it said something about the umbilical cord) but I was told it has something to the effect of "happiness" and "congratulations" on it.  So I'm thinking perhaps it could also be used to store baby teeth or baby hair.

kotobuki bako (the sticker is to fill out pertinent
birth details and put on the bottom of the box)

Speaking of baby hair, I learned about another interesting custom regarding how the hair from babys first haircut is kept.  Here you can take it to a salon and they will have it made into a fancy calligraphy brush.  No kidding.  One of the shower guests brought hers from when her son was a baby and showed us.  Unfortunately I didn't get a photo but you can go here and see photos and read more about the custom.  You an also send in baby hair and have a brush made if you want.  From my reading I gather that this custom (as well as the kotobuki bako) are popular in other parts of Asia as well.  Apparently baby hair makes a great brush, but they are almost always just put away as heirlooms.

As for us Americans, the whole concept of a "baby shower" was our contribution.....they are not a tradition here.  We didn't do games but there was plenty of food and presents to "ooh" and "ahh" over.  The Asian ladies were also particularly fascinated by the diaper cake that one of the hostesses put together for me.



All in all, it was a lovely, international, educational, thoroughly enjoyable affair!  ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...