July 15, 2012

The Saga of the Neighborhood Social

So last year about this time our next-door neighbor came over and told us that the yearly neighborhood social was coming up.  She said there would be food and drink and gave us a ticket for a free serving of yakisoba (a popular noodle dish).  The flyer she gave us was all in Japanese but she told us that it would start at 11am and that it was in "the park". 

Now, there is a small grassy playground area around the corner from our house.  And then there is an actual small park (seen here) a few blocks away.  I had no idea which one she was talking about but just knew it wouldn't be too hard to figure out.  Anyway, on the day of, I got ready to leave around noon (thinking it had to last at least a couple of hours) but then met my neighbor in our driveways on the way out.  She told me it was already over and I'd missed it.  So.....it didn't last two hours.

Fast forward to a few days ago.  Another neighbor (seriously, they take turns) comes by with the flyer and the yakisoba ticket.  She, like the previous neighbor, speaks a little bit of English---about as much as I speak Japanese.  She tells me that it starts at 11am and that it's in "the park".  Sounds familiar.

So today was the day.  (If you're wondering about Chad, he had to go to the bank in Tokyo to try to get a Japanese credit card.  Plus, honestly, he has zero desire to socialize with the neighbors.) Based on last year's experience, I was ready at 9:30am.  I walked down to the small playground area to check it out and there was nothing there.  So I drove down to the actual park and there was nothing there.   But I met this year's neighbor on the way back and stopped and she informed me again that it was in "the park" but this time she pointed toward the actual park.  And she said "but not start until 11am!".  OK.  Got it.

So by this time I'm determined.  I'm going to find out what is going on or go down trying.  So a little after 11am I get in the car and drive down towards the park.  But just before I reach the park I see a crowd of people in a lot under tents and my neighbor waving at me frantically.  She pointed me towards a tiny spot where I could squeeze my car (I should've just walked it).  And so....the social wasn't even in the park.  It was in a tiny gravel lot near the park.


ta-da!
It turned out to be mainly a few food tents.  My neighbor had already collected some food for me, bless her.

the yakisoba is upper left, the other two are rice & veggies and rice & red beans

I stood around for awhile and tried out my Japanese with my neighbors.  I only got my belly rubbed once and it was by a small child so that wasn't so bad.  I asked questions....but sometimes the answers get tangled up in translation.  I'm pretty sure that at least the yakisoba was homemade by neighborhood ladies.  Not 100% sure on the other dishes.  (I did try them all out and all of them were OK.)  And I think that the social was actually for a few of the nearby neighborhoods, not just our little street.

The tan building that you see on the right side of the first photo is a "community building" used for meetings and activities of some sort.  During the social, it was the kid's area.  Apparently there was some kind of drumming lesson going on?  And I really thought someone said something about pirates?  I dunno....



I think that's a drum on the right, but I see no pirates?
Anyway, it was incredibly humid (notice all the sweat rags in the photos below) so I didn't stay too long.  On my way out I did make the acquaintance of a nice man who spoke pretty darn good English and was happy to get to practice it.  He lived in Indiana for a couple of years. 

Some extra photos of the action.....




So there ya go....a Japanese neighborhood social. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...