January 16, 2013

Baby Food Exposé

 
Back when I was pregnant, I did some recon on the jarred baby food sold here.  At the time I was flabbergasted (and a little sickened) to discover some of the flavors that are sold:
 
 
Rice Porridge with Flatfish & Vegetables
Codfish, Tuna & Vegetable Risotto

Tuna & Vegetable Curry

But, I guess if fish is going to be a integral part of a baby's diet, best to get them started early.  These photos were at a Baby's R Us a couple of towns over.  They also had applesauce, peas, carrots and some other more "normal" stuff. 

Now that I'm close to the point where I'll have to actually use baby food I went back to my local Baby's R Us for a second round of recon.  And not only did I not find any normal stuff this time, I found the pièce de résistance of Japanese baby food:


Vegetables & Horse Meat in Cream Sauce

I nearly fell over.  Fortunately I have the time and inclination to make most of Cora's baby food and was just going to use the jars as backups.  But now that I know they'll put horse meat in it I'm not giving her any of it and will just order backup jars off the Internet.  I mean....horse meat.  Horse meat.

Gag. 

Hope it's not mealtime for you.
 

1 comment:

  1. Have you seen baby food in the US? They may call it chicken... but it is probably pretty close to horse meat. I think any meat baby food is disgusting personally and kept my kids on a cereal, fruits and veggies diet. Easy and cheaper to make yourself if you are so inclined. Plus, if Cora is anything like my kids she will be eating solid foods in no time.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...