March 28, 2014

Lean In, Licca-chan

I spend my fair share of time in Babies/Toys R' Us these days.  It was there that I ran across Licca-chan, aka Japanese Barbie. (Because of the way "L" is pronounced here her name can sometimes sound like "Rika".  I tell you this only because it can cause confusion---it did for me.)  Actual American Barbie is available here too, although I don't think she is as popular as Licca-chan.

Licca-chan was introduced in 1967 and at first glance she's a lot like Barbie.  She has a back story, family, a personality, careers etc.  One thing I thought was funny is that Licca-chan is described as a "fan" of the Anne of Green Gables books.  I read those books for the first time just before we moved here---imagine my surprise when I learned that they are super popular in Japan.  Japanese kids read them in school.  You can visit Green Gables Farm on Prince Edward Island (the Canadian setting for the novels) and I gather that it's a popular tourist destination for Japanese people and some even get married there.  Go figure.

Anyway, so now on to my personal experience with Licca-chan. After I decided to do a blog about her I went and really examined the merchandise available and took photos.  I was a little appalled by what I found.  The only career options available to Licca-chan in my local toy store are food service, pet shop employee, childcare and beautician.  And one lone nurse Licca-chan stuck in a corner.  Don't get me wrong (or flame me), these are all very noble and important professions.  But come on....

nurse and pet shop

Pizza-La employee and cafe worker.  or parent with two suspiciously
red-haired children straight out of The Shining

beautician Licca

donut store employee is surprisingly popular?

Japanese restaurant worker (lots of tiny sushi)

teenage babysitter, judging by the looks of her

and to top it off, she apparently has a French boyfriend
(on second glance, he is labeled "papa" and the doll next to him is "mama"
--I think they are Licca-chan's very young parents?)
I wanted to get a Licca-chan for Cora, in the spirit of having some neat souvenirs of her early childhood in Japan.  But now I'm not so sure.  I did some additional research on Licca-chan, just to make sure that it wasn't a case of the store only carrying certain models.  As far as I can tell this is the height of Licca-chan's career aspirations.

I also did some research on what Barbie is up to these days, just to make sure that this wasn't an overall doll trend.  I am pleased to report that I was easily able to locate astronaut Barbie on the American Toys R' Us website as well as some other choices that were at least more interesting like singer/songwriter and ice skater.  The full list of Barbie's careers astonished even me.  Computer Engineer Barbie is pretty awesome.

Some of you may be thinking well, duh....feminism isn't as prevalent in Japan so why is this surprising?  I suppose I was just taken aback to see it displayed so blatantly in the doll section of the toy store.  But it is what it is, right?  I guess I'll just let Cora pick what Licca-chan she wants and then get her a US President Barbie when we get home.  Maybe Barbie will be a good influence on Licca-chan.  ;D




2 comments:

  1. Yeah - point taken re Licca-chan - but have you seen the recent career Barbies? Compare a 90's palaeontologist Barbie (how cool is that?) in dinosaur shirt and sensible beige shorts and the recent one in hot pink camouflage and high heeled boots. Sigh.

    There's a kindy teacher Licca-chan too......at least their uniforms are...realistic..although off-work she is a bit of a trash bag. Haha. My daughter's latest one is wearing a hello kitty ensemble with a net skirt and bloomers underneath.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'm not gonna push dolls that much....this new Bratz style stuff is too much for me. Cue Grandma..."they just don't make it like they did in the good ole days..."

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...