March 24, 2014

So Ugly It's...Cute?

Many months ago I was walking through the kiddie arcade at the mall and happened to glance over at a small toy dispenser.  I did a double take at what was inside.  It was this guy:

yikes

Now, honestly, what does that look like to you?  Am I the only one who thinks it looks obscene?  I took some pictures, mostly just to prove to myself later that I hadn't imagined it.

A few weeks later I ran across an article that explained who and what this.....thing.....is.  I am relieved to inform you that he is a mushroom and his name is Nameko.  He's part of the Japanese trend of popular characters who are supposed to be gross....but in a cute way.  The trend is called "kimo-kawaii" which translates to "gross-cute".  No, I'm not kidding.  You probably already know that anything cutesy is prized in Japan....think Hello Kitty.  I guess they got tired of actual cute things and had to branch out.

Nameko is just the tip of the iceberg, there are tons of these characters (go read the linked article for a comprehensive list) but he is the one I see most often.  I did lose my original pictures and had to go all over the place hunting this weird thing so I could take some new ones and share him with you all.  Because without pictures would you have really believed me? And I don't like to think of how I would've tried to describe him.


lewd fungus arcade game prizes

lewd fungus cell phone charms

I will say that I think America totally has its own version of this stuff, mostly the cartoons you find on Nickelodeon and the Cartoon Network (think Spongebob) so it's really not that particular to Japan.  Nor is the concept of "so ugly it's cute" although I think Americans usually stick to dogs and babies.  I have a feeling if Nameko made it to the States he would get a completely different reaction. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...