August 4, 2011

A Few of My Favorite Things

A month ago I posted about my least favorite things in Japan.  Here, in no particular order, are some of my favorite things:

1. It's really safe here.  People let their little kids wander around the neighborhood and ride the subways alone.  No one ever really looks like they're up to no good.

2. It's clean.  You do see a little bit of litter and some run-down areas but it isn't quite as bad as in the States.  Especially the litter.  And the subways and trains are spotless.  If you ask another expat (especially one from China) what they think about Japan that's the first thing they say..... "It's so clean!"

3.  The recycling is a good thing and making it mandatory is probably the only way Chad and I would ever have done it. ;)

4. This one sounds odd, but I love watching people sleep on the subways in Tokyo.  They get on, fall into what appears to be a slumped over, slack-jawed coma, yet somehow always know when to pop up and hop off at their station.  If I tried to sleep on the subway I'd just go around and around until someone swept me off at midnight.

5. I like my yard full of frogs.  And my backyard rice paddy field.

6. Clothing here is really well-made (not to mention pretty).  Lining and pockets is pretty much standard in pants and shorts.  Also, Japanese women are short, so things here are made short which is awesome for my 5'1" self.  I can wear maxi dresses straight off the rack here!  Yippee!

7. My extremely practical bicycle.

8. Another odd one: Japanese salesgirls are entertaining.   The ones in the small clothing boutiques keep up a continuous, high-pitched, sing-song patter at no one in particular.  They swoop around like birds making nests out of T-shirts. 

9. Those cute Japanese cars.  (Although it still remains to be seen whether I'll ever get one....we're getting by OK with just one.)

10. An finally, people are nice here.  I haven't had a single bad experience and goodness knows my bad Japanese and general cluelessness has to be frustrating.  Sure, some people are more enthusiastically helpful than others, but no one has been completely unwilling to assist us.

2 comments:

  1. Just noticed the labels you added - I like them! And it is funny that food and shopping are the top two! :-) Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know...that didn't escape me. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...