August 30, 2011

There and Back Again

Yesterday I had a big adventure....I went into Tokyo for the first time by myself.  It was not the smooth operation I had hoped for...I missed one train and wandered around lost under Shinjuku for about ten minutes.  I also screwed up my PASMO card somehow (still not sure how I did it) but fortunately those are easy to get fixed.  There are a couple of different ways to get into the city and I picked the harder of the two which I will never do again whilst alone.  By the time I got to Ginza (my final destination) my nerves were a little frazzled.  See normally when Chad and I go together he navigates while my job is to take photos and window shop.  Or worse yet I read and do the whole thing in a book haze while he pulls me on and off at the right stops.  So this solo trip was very educational for me.  Lesson #1: do not underestimate the complexity of Tokyo's public transportation.

But I made there (and even better, I made it back home again) and this time I had the camera along for the trip.  Ginza, if you recall, is the major shopping district of Tokyo.  I wanted to go check out Matsuya, which is a famous Japanese department store.  It turned out to be a pretty pricey establishment but good to know about if you are looking to splurge.  (Printemps was a little more my speed.)

One day I'll go again (not any time soon though and to somewhere other than Ginza--I want to go to the zoo!) and I think I'll do a better job.    When I've got it down I'll post some more detailed tips and tricks about the trains and subways.

Matsuya Ginza....check out how shiny
that building is!

McQueen in Matsuya

the main drag (check the lady with her parasol)...and you can
see the Apple store we went to on the right

Cartier (how about that gold building?) & Alfred
Dunhill in the other direction

2 comments:

  1. The people of Japan seem to take sun protection very seriously. I was in Hawaii this spring and there were many parasols among the multitude of Japanese tourists as well as a few groups of people on the beach who were fully clothed (long sleeves, hats, socks & shoes, even some gloves). I was pretty much the whitest person on the beach, but probably just because they didn't have any skin showing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They really really do. There is no sunscreen here with an SPF lower than 50. For real. Lots of whitening creams are available. I think it's a case of people not wanting to look like they work in the rice paddies. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...