March 12, 2012

My Japanese Kitchen

For the past two weeks my nose and taste buds have been gradually returning to a somewhat normal pre-pregnancy state. I think whatever issues I have now are mostly PTSD-style flashbacks. I am even starting to want a Japanese dish again, not just any Japanese dish, (I'm still not gonna go gnawing on an octopus anytime soon) but my beloved tonkatsu.

I really want it from the bento shop around the corner (first mentioned in detail here) but this post is about the time I attempted to make it myself, full-on Japanese-style. This was right after the first of the year, but I wasn't able to post about it until now because shortly thereafter I was unable to do it justice (and by that I mean I couldn't so much as look at the photo without gagging).

I followed the instructions in Harumi's Japanese Home Cooking (first mentioned here, where I now realize I also mentioned our TV set up at a time when I wasn't short on post topics) to the letter:

complete with my $10 fake-lacquered serving tray and disposable chopsticks that we hoard
from the bento shop. plus the tiny bowls that I love to buy at the 100 yen ($1) store

Harumi says you have to have shredded cabbage, lemon, soy sauce and salt to eat with it. I added miso soup to the meal but I'm afraid my miso soup is terrible. I've got to find someone who can teach me how to make it---seriously, it's horrible. The tonkatsu itself was OK, but nowhere near as good as the bento shop's. I honestly don't know that I'll try to make it again. Maybe. Or maybe I'll just keep going around the corner.

2 comments:

  1. I used to be able to get a dish called chicken katsu at the Tsunami here in Columbia, but they took it off the menu :-(. It was basically fried (boneless) chicken and looked kind of like the meat on your plate there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is fried boneless pork...it's the tonkatsu sauce that really makes it, IMO. I have no idea what is in it, even Harumi says to just buy it off the shelf.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...