May 30, 2011

Paddy Field Paradise


I really wish he didn't do this at 6am
I had to do some research on paddy fields (for starters I learned that is the correct English term, more so than "rice paddy") before this post. Because although they are all around my house, I have no idea how they are cultivated or what really goes on in a paddy field. When we flew into Japan, we could see flooded fields out the plane windows. When we took the train into Tokyo there were fields full of tall green rice stalks.  I'm pretty confused about rice agriculture.

"Our" fields seem to be following the timeline I found on on the Internet. A couple of weeks ago a guy on a tractor came and plowed them up (there was another guy weeding by hand too). From what I read, they should be planted in early June. So we'll see.

Currently the fields are flooded naturally because it has rained for two days straight (the famous Japanese "rainy season" is upon us I guess). Also, the resident frogs weren't too loud at first, but the more it rains the louder they get....

these canals run all through the neighborhoods, I believe            
they are used to flood the paddy fields

some kind of dam in the canals?  I found it one
neighborhood over

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...