July 28, 2011

The Paper & Cardboard Mystery

So the handouts I was given about recycling the garbage clearly read that paper and cardboard (including newspapers and magazines) are collected on the 4th Wednesday of the month.  I missed the first two 4th Wednesdays because I just flaked out ......or so I thought. 

Yesterday was the third 4th Wednesday and I was determined to get rid of our paper and cardboard or die trying.  I stalked the garbage spot at the curb all Tuesday afternoon (because the bins and nets actually go out the night before and as soon as they're there it's on) to no avail.  So I set the alarm and shuffled out there early Wednesday morning.  Nothing.  Then I laid in wait for my next-door neighbor......when she got home I pounced and quizzed her about how the heck one gets rid of one's paper around here! 

Turns out, the handout is a lie in regards to paper and cardboard.  They are not collected at all except occasionally by high-school students coming door-to-door (why they do this I have no idea).  What you have to do is take it to the local community center and dump it in a designated location.  My neighbor, who like most Japanese folk is so kind and helpful, loaded me up in her car and took me over to the community center and showed me exactly where to put my paper and cardboard.  And get this, you can do it any time.  Let me tell you, no one has ever been so excited about the prospect of taking out their trash.

Today I drove over there and finally got rid of our paper and cardboard.....I took some photos to commemorate.

what three months of paper and cardboard looks like

the section of the community center for recycling

  mystery solved

4 comments:

  1. So, can you take other stuff to the community center to recycle or just paper? Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can also take plastic anytime, but not glass, aluminum or any of the other categories. I guess this is because plastic and paper make up the most trash.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! Chad told me about your blog - so glad to be able to keep up with you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sarah, thanks for reading! I see you have a blog too, the girls are adorable! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...