November 25, 2011

Happy Turkey Day!

Chad has been on a business trip in China this week and ended up flying back on Thanksgiving.  Fortunately, I received a kind invitation from some fellow American expats to enjoy a real American Thanksgiving with them.  They invited a few of their new Japanese friends as well and we made a night of it.   Considering where we find ourselves this year, I was very thankful to find myself surrounded by friends and American food.

FYI, the only way you can get a turkey here is to order it --- and it will be imported.  Turkey isn't a popular meat here at all, although I can get tiny packs of sliced turkey sandwich meat at the supermarket.  Cranberry sauce has to be ordered as well, and it must be done far advance as it will sell out.  I actually saw a box of StoveTop stuffing in the imported food store in the mall and you can order it as well.  Pumpkin, pecans and green beans are hard to come across here but potatos, corn and other vegetables are plentiful.  I contributed an apple pie to the festivities and made it from scratch (got a tub of shortening at the imported food store) as I didn't think there was any hope of finding a pre-made crust.  I was wrong though, during dinner I learned that you can get pre-made crusts here--the packaging is just a little different.  So it's a little harder to do Thanksgiving properly here but certainly not impossible.

And Chad made it home in time for us to see a little bit of the Macy's parade---at 11pm.  ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...