November 27, 2011

Things I've Purchased: Panda Donabe

When I first started perusing the kitchen supplies in local stores I immediately noticed an odd stone bowl with a lid like an upside down funnel.  They were everywhere, in all colors and styles and I didn't have the foggiest clue what to do with them.

I have since learned that they are donabes and at Thanksgiving someone explained to me how to use them.  Basically you put a little water in them with some meat and vegetables of your choice and put it on the stove top covered.  It steams the food.

With all this new information I decided it was time to give in and buy one.....my decision may also have been influenced by the adorableness of this particular brand, also available in a cat, a bunny, a fox and a brown bear:

it's hard to see from this angle, but the nose sticks up in a dome shape

But I still had to come up with what to cook in it.  Chad and I are both a tiny bit picky about food, especially vegetables.  My donabe came with a little recipe book with pictures but everything in it looked like most Japanese food, i.e. cabbage-y seaweed and fish.  Blech.

But then I had a moment of inspiration....meat and vegetables....steamed....that sounds to me like.....a low-country boil!

how's that for fusion?

It worked out just fine, but I had to make up my own seasoning with wasn't quite up to snuff.  If I can acquire some Old Bay I think it will be a hit.  I'm also open to suggestions as to what else to cook in it.  ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...