November 1, 2011

Joyful Consumerism!

Awhile back our Japanese teacher told me about this store called Joyful Honda.  (I'm still not sure whether or not it has anything to do with Honda cars---can't quite get a straight answer on that.)  Anyway, she gave me directions and said it was pretty far away from my house.  So several weekends ago I made Chad drive me out there to check it out.  It's about 35 minutes from our house and we didn't stay long but I resolved to return by myself as soon as possible.

See, here it can be kind of hard to locate good shopping centers but once you do find one....boy, oh boy.  I went back by myself this Saturday and pored over everything for several hours.

way far down out of the picture is a huge Home Depot-esque section, the top floor
of this building is like Micheal's and the bottom floor is basically a Garden Ridge.
plus: a supermarket, dollar store, shoe store and a food court for good measure

the endless Garden Ridge section
the Micheal's section (beads)
scrapbooking supplies (notice Mickey butting in on the right)
need some clay?  or a potter's wheel? how about a kiln?
I want one, but I have to figure out if it has English instructions. 
plus it's kinda crazy expensive.

You may be wondering exactly how much stuff I'm carting home from all these shopping centers I find....and the answer is, not much.  It's nice to know where to find craft supplies when I need them, but mostly I want to buy things that I can't find in the US.  Unfortunately, I don't find many.  Most of what's available here (in every category of goods except food) is the same stuff I find back home.  I do have some good information on where to find local-craftsman/traditional Japanese stuff in Tokyo, but I have to get around to making a trip by myself.  Meanwhile, if I pay attention I can find some different stuff in places like Joyful Honda, for example, near the scrapbooking supplies was a section of origami paper.  There were traditional flower-arranging supplies tucked in near the fake flowers and brushes for Japanese calligraphy alongside the regular paintbrushes.  It's like that in places like Aeon, and Cainz too....95% same old, 5% new and different. 

5 comments:

  1. So, because I'm a scrapbooker, I can tell you that the "big thing" from Japan is washi tape - basically a decorative tape. But the real stuff from Japan has a certain texture and translucence.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did notice a larger than normal collection of decorative tape....and picked up a few nice cherry blossom & crane stickers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a Brother sewing/embroidery machine and they have manuals for all of their machines online, so I wouldn't worry about finding English instructions. (I had a crazy time finding a manual for my 30-year old Singer.) I don't know if you're really considering the big purchase, but I love my Brother machine, even though I did totally sew through my finger with it the other day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mother keeps trying to convince me I need one of the "Project Runway" computerized ones. I would kind of like one to play around with, but I'm not much of a sewer and they cost between $400 and $700 dollars here!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ouch! I understand your reluctance to pay a fortune. My mom was also trying to convince me to get a nice new machine and I told her I wasn't ready because I didn't sew enough to make the investment worthwhile. Then, against my expressed wishes, she gave it to me for Christmas a couple of years ago. I have to admit, having a machine that is really user friendly has made me much more adventurous in my sewing endeavors. (I have the Brother Enthusiast SE-350; it sews and embroiders.) Japanese fabric is so pretty!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...