November 11, 2011

Strange Fruit

A couple of months ago I started noticing some unfamiliar fruits sprouting on trees in our neighborhood.  By "unfamiliar" I mean things that I personally had never seen growing on trees before.  I deduced (by swiping one off a neighborhood tree and cutting it open) that one type were limes, as seen here.  (I thought they were avocados---they are really big and leathery limes.  And yes, now I realize that avocados are from Mexico. Duh.)  The person living in front of us also has an amazing lemon tree, which I have not at all whatsover contemplated stealing from.

By far the oddest and most common (seriously, they are everywhere) were a peach-y fruit that mystified me.  So I did some internet research and learned that they are Japanese persimmons (or kaki, as they are known here).  I also learned that there are American persimmons that are common, where else, in the South.  Who knew?  I  had no idea what these things were.  Apparently I am really out of the fruit....loop....sorry. :\

I also had no idea what you could do with them, if they were edible etc.  Then I encountered an enormous display of them in the supermarket.  At that point I mentioned them to our Japanese teacher and she brought one to class to eat raw, like an apple.  It was like a cross between a peach and a mango.  Pretty good, if  little bland.





P.S. The post title is intended as no reference to the song of the same name, past the first line anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...