December 12, 2011

Costco Crowds

This past weekend we also made our first trip to Japanese Costco.  There is one in the nearby city of Tatebayashi correction, Maebashi and we had heard rumors that they had a lot of imported foods.  We had to get a membership because we were dumb and didn't get one in the US before we came.  But they found the one poor girl who spoke good English and made her help us.

The history of Costco here is a little interesting---apparently when the company was considering expanding to Japan they were told that it would not be a success.  They were told that Japanese people do not buy in bulk.  Based on my experience, I would have said the same thing.  So many things here come in tiny packages--cheese, chocolate chips, powdered sugar, sour cream and gift/food wrap to name a few.  Not to mention that all of the bakeware is undersized.  Anyway, the Costco people couldn't convince a Japanese company to partner with them (which is how a lot of foreign companies get a foot in the door) but they went ahead and came here anyway.

Well....let me tell you....they were right all along.  The Costco was wall-to-wall Japanese people.  They were loading up their huge carts with their huge packages as fast as they could go.  Chad and I split up and had to use our cell phones to find one another in the mayhem---always fun because whenever I start talking to him on the phone in a public place everyone around me goes super, super quiet to listen to my English. :)

I'd say the merchandise was about 60% imported, 40% Japanese.  Most of the imported stuff I had seen here before but there were a few surprises and some welcome bulk packaging.  I scored huge (and by "huge" I mean normal-American-sized) blocks of cheese and big (by anyone's standards) bags of oatmeal and tortilla chips.  We got big bottles of juice and bulk Ziploc bags.  I also found American-style Christmas wrapping paper, bows and tissue paper in bulk.  The bakery rolls, fried chicken and pizzas seemed to be very popular with the Japanese people.


Japanese Costco

Chad thinks you could stand here and watch Japan slowly super-size itself
literally almost everyone had one of these ginormous pizzas in their cart.....
so we got one too---it was pretty good which is fortunate because it will last all week long

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...