December 17, 2011

O Christmas Tree

Before we came to Japan I didn't really know how Christmas would be celebrated here.  I knew it wasn't the big deal that it is in the US.  But over the past month or two I have been pleasantly surprised by the amount of Christmas decorations that are available.  We have a Christmas tree, it's a cheap little fake one I bought here (I optimistically brought a small box of our ornaments with us).  In fact, most of the Christmas stuff here, although plentiful, is pretty cheap and tacky.  You can find ornaments and little decorative figurines.  Christmas lights are available, but no one really puts them on their house---some businesses and restaurants do though.  Wreaths are somewhat popular although they tend to be a little more for New Years, which is equally as important (maybe more than) Christmas.  Poinsettias are also popular.  Also, it should be noted that Christmas is completely secular here.  It's all Santa and Frosty, no Jesus or angels (only 3% of Japanese people are Christian).  Speaking of Santa, he does bring presents to Japanese boys and girls who believe in him. :)

I have been disappointed that there is not much "Japanese" Christmas stuff available.  Most of what is here is the same type of generic stuff you see in the US.  The one exception is Christmas cards, which are beautiful and often depict Santa hanging out around shrines or rice paddies, or flying over Mt. Fuji.  Some of them are origami-style 3D or have glitter and gilt on them.  I really wish they would carry the same style over into ornaments and decorations.

our tree, staged, before all the presents got packed up
and shipped to the US (I thought the lights were all white
when I bought them but they are blue and white)



I could've gotten an all Minnie tree.....

or this lovely pastel number (at Joyful Honda)


the Santa ornament I bought
at Usaburo Kokeshi

one of the nicer displays at the Shinjuku Tokyu Hands (two months ago)

little wood cutout decorations like this are one different (and not too tacky)
thing I found....although for all I know they are the new thing in the US too

2 comments:

  1. Hope you guys enjoy a Merry Christmas!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Merry Christmas to you guys too!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...