December 7, 2011

Lunch Break

The other day I finally worked up the courage to get lunch at the new-ish Subway in the mall.  Ordering at Subway when you speak the same language as the sandwich-maker can be a trial, and I was wary of trying to do it in Japanese.  But, it turns out that they have all the toppings labeled on signs in the basic Japanese that I can read so I was able to get what I wanted (roast beef and cheese) without too much confusion.  Overall the procedure was the same as it is in the US.  Some interesting things about Japanese Subway:

1. You get wedge fries instead of chips.  Of course for all I know, you now get wedge fries at US Subway.

2. They have the actual cucumber dill pickle slices, hallelujah.  Usually when someone refers to pickles here they mean pickled plums.  And they have mayonnaise---Japanese people like mayo.  No mustard though.

3. Tandoori and Teriyaki chicken sandwiches. 

yep....it's a Subway...

Then I ventured over to one of the ice-cream and crepe shops.  Yep, crepes.  And ice cream.  French stuff is popular here (note: if you are ever in Japan and see something cute with Tokyo Tower on it look again because it's probably actually the Eiffel Tower) and crepe shops are common, usually combined with an ice cream shop.  There are two in the mall.  I have not tried one of the crepes ( I prefer this place's incredibly rich hot chocolate) but they are eye-catching.  The photo below is a very typical crepe display.

count four back and you have green tea ice cream with sweet red beans......
count four more and you have a salad crepe with lettuce and tomato....
I have a feeling you're not going to find either of these in France.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...