September 26, 2011

Don't Judge a Book By It's Cover....

....or a Japanese eating establishment by it's facade.  On my trip to the mall the other day, my fellow expat wife also recommended one of the little mall vendors.  I had noticed it before but had written it off because it's somewhat "rustic" appearance signaled to me that it was probably the kind of place that sold scaly and/or tentacle-y things.  Come to find out, I was sort of right.  It's a "taiyaki" vendor.  Taiyaki are very traditional dessert cakes that are shaped like fish, made of a waffle-ish batter and have sweet fillings.  According to my research, the fillings vary from shop to shop and can be a little gimmicky.

I didn't get one that day, but I went by later in the week and picked out a couple to try.  One that I had hoped was double-chocolate turned out to be filled with a sweet red bean paste that is popular here.  I had a pretty good idea that it wasn't chocolate based on the limited conversation I was able to have with the girl behind the counter but I got it anyway just to try.  I'm not a fan of it (it tastes exactly like "sweet red bean paste" sounds) but the other one I got was filled with a custard that was pretty tasty.


no, I don't know what the shop is called....I can
sound out some of it but it means nothing to me
I had always kept on walking to the yummy
smoothie shop next door



I think they are definitely best when hot and fresh


the top one is the chocolate/bean, bottom is vanilla custard

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...